INFECTION CONTROL ANNUAL STATEMENT 2017
This statement regarding infection control updated annually.
It will summarise:
- Any infection transmission incidents and action taken (these will be reported in accordance with our Significant Event procedure
- The annual infection control audit summary and actions undertaken
- Details of staff training (both as part of induction and annual training) with regards to infection prevention & control
- Details of infection control advise to patients
- Any review and update of policies, procedures and guidelines.
The Symons Medical Centre Lead for Infection Prevention /Control is D Coppin (RN).
The team updates infection prevention & control practices and shares necessary information with staff and patients throughout the year.
In the past year todate (Nov 2016-Nov 2017) there have been 0 significant events that related to infection prevention & control.
An infected control audit was completed in November 2017 and the results (with areas for improvement) are currently being reviewed.
1 new staff member joined this surgery in the past 12-months and has received infection control and hand-washing training.
86% of the Practice Clinical staff completed their annual infection prevention & control update as of Nov 3rd 2017.
The Infection Control Lead is due to attend an update for their role provided by Michaela Hooper (the Infection Prevention & Control Nurse for Berkshire West CCGs) as per scheduling commitments.
Infection Control Advice to Patients:
Patients are encouraged to use the alcohol hand gel/sanitiser dispensers that are available in the Medical Centre/Surgery.
There are electronic messages available in the surgery on:
Chickenpox & shingles
The importance of immunisations (e.g. in childhood and in preparation for overseas travel)
Policies, procedures and guidelines.
Documents related to infection prevention & control are reviewed in line with national and local guidance changes and are updated 2-yearly (or sooner in the event on new guidance).